Sunday, April 28, 2024

Random thoughts about Mom and a crazy "safari"

 Mother's Day is fast upon us on May 12th, and SO many memories come to mind when I think about Mom. Hard to believe it's been 9 years since she passed away in Ohio outside of Cleveland at 88. When I would land a new radio job, she'd be at the top of my telephone call list (without exception) to break the news. "Hi Mom. Well, I've got a new radio job." That was always met with her encouraging and enthusiastic response of "Wonderful!!!" before asking me where I was heading. She was my cheerleader #1. When I moved from Florida to Charlotte in '94, I called and told her "This place is the belt buckle of the Bible Belt. There's a church on every street corner or a sign telling you how to get to one!" She chuckled. We had a special bond. I would always stay in her spare room with the comfy bed, upon visits to Ohio.  Dad and Mom got divorced, so he would be next on my call list. His reaction was much more reserved and subdued. "Are you making any more money son?" A normal reaction, I figured, coming from a man who was self employed and provided for himself, a wife, and 9 kids. I always enjoyed taking a vacation week from the stations I worked at to spend time with Mom or Dad visits during my South Florida days. She loved the water, so we'd head over into Palm Beach to drive seaside on a sunny day and marvel at all the mansions you rarely saw anyone coming out of. (OK. Maybe the occasional gardener/landscaper). One afternoon, we dropped by Palm Beach's version of "Goodwill" to see what clothes all the rich folks had donated. She got a kick out of that. Her mother, my Grandma Sopko, loved a good rummage sale. One time, on a scorching hell hot day, I had the bright idea to take Mom to the outskirts of West Palm Beach to drive through the world famous Lion Country Safari. She pulled a tiny, cheap looking, plastic, "99 cent" camera from her bag, car window rolled down, and was all set to take pictures of the giraffes, monkeys, elephants and beyond. We kept rolling through and quickly realized all the animals were hiding up in the brushes and bushes to escape the searing heat! That turned into a laughfest between the two of us in the car. It was a day of silly fun. On the way back, we stopped at a mom and pop restaurant joint along the highway. It displayed tons of rustic antiques up on the walls and near ceiling high.Years later, on another visit, she'd say to me, "Remember that really nice restaurant you took me to?"

Like most of us, she had her quirks. She loved a good margarita at a Mexican restaurant. Just don't serve it to her in one of those Ball canning jars. Nope. It needed to be in a "real" margarita glass. Someone in our family bought her a margarita glass, complete with its very own wooden carrying case. Pretty much a gag gift, but useable I suppose.

If you still have a mom to do "stuff" with, whatever it might be... be thankful. Time flies. 

Mom adored Tony Bennett's music and sometimes cranked up the volume around home to play some opera songs from others. Pavarotti comes to mind.

Here are a few of my "mom things" I remember...

"We don't hate. We may have a strong disliking for someone... but we don't hate."

"Wait till your father gets home!" (This was never good news)

"Tomorrow's another day." 

"How can people go on these horrible shows and make such fools out of themselves on national TV!?" (I use to tease her. "Mom, I think they're looking for their 15 minutes of fame")

"Sit up straight!" (Mom was head of the NO SLOUCHING POLICE. Especially at the dinner table)

"Happy Mother's Day mom!" So sorry I gave you a George Foreman grill that one year. I was running out of gift ideas. And besides, you liked it better than flowers, right? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and checking out my blog!

Random thoughts about Mom and a crazy "safari"

 Mother's Day is fast upon us on May 12th, and SO many memories come to mind when I think about Mom. Hard to believe it's been 9 yea...