Tuesday, May 23, 2023

"Be thankful for what you've got"

Much has been written and said through all media, church podiums, and way beyond about the need to be thankful, so I won't gab on about it here. 

Oprah started her gratitude journal which was a huge hit and had many shows about the need to feel thankful. 

"“Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.” (Oprah)

I remember as a kid Mom would sometimes say, "Count your blessings." A blessing at our little house was an open, singular bathroom for Mom, Dad and 9 kids. When you went in, it was almost like you were on a timer. Somebody was always waiting to get in. And you never wanted to hear Dad banging on the door for you to get out.

My Dad who owned his own business (plaster and drywall) would give his longtime clients a bottle of booze at Christmastime. Worked like a charm. And I know those folks were thankful. With every gulp.

Make sure that as you receive voice over work from clients/customers and others, saying "Thank You" is in the mix.

I left radio 17 years ago to create my full-time voice over business, and I have clients who have called on me during that entire time. Touch base with your clients, new and old, and say thanks for the business. Even a short email works wonders.

There are tons of songs with a gratitude theme. Those that know me know I spend a fair amount of time listening to my favorite songs on You Tube in between VO jobs. One of my "thankful songs" is from 1974 by William DeVaughn (yep, I'm going way back) . It went to #1 on the rhythm and blues charts. And in 2021, it was listed at #374 on Rolling Stone's "Top 500 Greatest Songs of All Time." Here's a link to the tune. See if you remember it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and checking out my blog!

Five voice over stars in a limo heading to an awards show

 OK. OK. I know this clip is very dated but ...here's a funny skit with 5 VO superstars from way back. Don LaFontaine, the late, great m...