Thursday, July 6, 2023

"If you're coming to San Francisco be sure to..."

 As mentioned in other posts on this blog, pre-pandemic, I enjoy having a nice breakfast in San Francisco on Saturday and then walking through Chinatown and down to Pier 39 where most of the tourists and sea lions hang out. It's a considerable walk from where I start at the cable car turnaround at Powell and Market streets. Most of my breakfasts are fairly simple-eggs,hash browns, sausage/bacon, toast and coffee. And while I love a cup of hot coffee first thing before my city walk, it can often wreak havoc when I need to find a public restroom QUICKLY.  Recently, I added an app to my phone that is GPS driven, FREE, and shows over 200,000 public bathrooms worldwide. It indicates where the closest public restrooms are from where I am, at any given time. A real life saver! Google "Flush Toilet Finder." It's tough to find a PUBLIC restroom in the city. Most restrooms are for paying customers only. There use to be a small coffee shop in Chinatown I could count on to be my "saving grace" on my walks. It was the size of a few phone booths, but they DID have a public restroom if you bought a cup of coffee. Too bad it closed a number of years ago due to a lack of business. Bummer. 

Some good news however! San Francisco has entered into an agreement with a French agency to debut some cool new public toilets citywide. Yipeeeeee! There's this on the ABC 7 website...

"Media company JCDecaux has agreed to pay for the public toilets and maintain them in exchange for allowing them to install advertising kiosks in the downtown area."

ABC 7 had a sneak preview of the toilets that will be arriving, and boy, are they nice! So modern looking. We all know how scary public restrooms can be. Hopefully, solid maintenance will be in place.

So, until the new toilets arrive in full, just a heads up. Know where the public restrooms are or get the phone app. As the old Scott McKenzie song says "If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair." I say,"Be sure to know where the nearest public restroom is." Let's get our priorities in order. 

                                                                            


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting and checking out my blog!

Random thoughts about Mom and a crazy "safari"

 Mother's Day is fast upon us on May 12th, and SO many memories come to mind when I think about Mom. Hard to believe it's been 9 yea...