Friday, August 20, 2010

"It ain't over till it's over"

I was surfing the net the other day and stumbled on a link, which took me to a page full of Yogi Berra quotes. Funny stuff! For those with little sports knowledge, he is a retired baseball player and manager (now 85) who has a tendency  for malapropism. I think his most well known is, "It ain't over till it's over." (That kind of reminded me of some e learning projects I've voiced, which can go on for weeks with numerous additions and revisions of the copy.) By the way, his real name is Lawrence Peter Berra. "Yogi" was a nickname a friend gave him who thought he looked like a holy Hindu man. Here are some of his other gems.


"We make too many wrong mistakes"
"Slump? I ain't in no slump... I just ain't hitting"
"You can observe a lot by watching"
"It gets late early around here..."
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore"
"If I didn't wake up I'd still be sleeping"
"I usually take a two hour nap from 1 to 4"
"If you don't know where you're going, you'll wind up somewhere else"
"The future ain't what it used to be"
"If they don't want to come, you can't stop them"
"Always go to other people's funerals otherwise they won't go to yours"
"You have to give 100 percent in the first half of the game. If that isn't enough, in the second half, you have to give what is left."
"Never answer an anonymous letter"

Can you imagine having to voice copy written by Yogi? Yikes!




1 comment:

David said...

Ya know, it's interesting to see all of these in one, er, foul swoop - some of them sound almost like Bushisms!